The Nevaton MC401 is a shotgun interface-type microphone with super-cardioid pattern (hyper-cardioid below 2000Hz). Its transformerless Class 'A' electronics construction, wide frequency response, very high output level and exceptionally low self noise has helped it gain extensive use and appreciation among members of the Russian film industry.
Nevaton's MC401 is lightweight and uses only a small amount of power to operate. Designed for stability, this microphone performs exceptionally in harsh weather conditions and noisy ambient sound fields. It also has excellent off-axis attenuation, reducing sound coloration to an absolute minimum. The MC401's internal components are suspended elastically to eliminate vibration and handling noise. Its high directivity picks up sources clearly over a wide frequency range while rejecting unwanted noise from the sides, making it ideal for targeted distance recording. It is also effective when recording individual instruments in an orchestra or smaller acoustic groupings.
Like all Nevaton microphones, the MC401 is 100% handcrafted and tested rigorously in Nevaton's St. Petersburg laboratory. It is packaged in a fine hardwood box and a mic clip is included. The MC401 is covered by a two-year warranty and is an option for anyone who wants a high quality ultra-directional microphone at a reasonable price.
- Electronic Characteristics
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Fixed directional pattern: Hypercardioid
- Frequency response: 40 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output sensitivity: 25 +/- 5mV / Pa
- Maximum SPL: 134 dB for 0.5% THD
- Dynamic range: 116 dB
- Self noise (DIN / IEC): 18 dB-A
- Nominal impedance: <200 ohms
- Recommended load: 1 k ohms
- Phantom powering: 12 - 48V
- Physical Characteristics
- Connector: XLR-male
- Weight: 4.23 oz. (120 g)
- Length: 9.84" (250 mm)
- Maximum diameter / width: 0.79" (20 mm)